Diving in the Keys

Diving in the Keys

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Catch Up Day

Today was a catch up day at work, at home and with training. I went on a business trip to Florenceville, New Brunswick Canada to visit McCain in the Potato Capital of the World. Before my flight on Monday, I was able to get in 3650 yds in the pool. The trip was crazy with no sleep so I had to take Tuesday and Wednesday off from training.

Bridge leaving Florenceville


POTATO WORLD

Driving in the North Country
Last night I caught up on sleep and went to bed at 8pm after fighting off a rapid on-set low. Today I caught up at work with all the reps that I work with, caught up with most things at home and after work did a 2 hr tempo ride followed by a brick into a 5 mile night run.

I had fun setting up a group on Facebook for all of my second cousins (all in their 60's and 70's). If you don't know my story, I was the extreme baby in our family and I was born when my brothers were 20 and 18 (same parents). My Dad was born in 1917. Anyway, my Dad's mom had 7 siblings and it is that family that I set up a group for and everyone seems to be having fun with it.

Me & my wife, Pam, with my 2nd Cousins at a 2006 Reunion. I was the youngest at 41 (in 2006) and my oldest 2nd cousin was 75 years old (in 2006)


I also went to the gym today and got a Fit Point. I was excellent in stretching, strength and VO2 and average on fat (21%). Not happy with that fat percentage only because I was about 14% before I started training for Ironman and about 10 lbs lighter. I have been told to only worry about fueling my body and not cutting back on needed calories. I am sticking with the program until May, then I go onto my program and get back to where I want to be. I must admit I feel very fast in the water right now and very strong on the bike.

Here is an ad by Peyton Manning that summarizes my battle as a 46 yr old guy:

Peyton Manning Pep Talk on Rock Hard Abs

I am also VERY excited because I entered a swim meet in Palo Alto, CA in three weeks. I will wear my Triabetes cap for the 1000 yd free because that is what it represents. I will then switch to my Visalia VFibs cap for my sprint events (50 free, 100 free, 100 back and 50 fly). I am very excited to see my swimming friends from my youth again and get together at a meet to have a great time. I am also very excited about some of the spectators who will be there to support us. One swam with us as kids and is battling cancer right now - I am sure that we will swim extra fast so that we don't let down the team in the stands.

Visalia VFibs Swim Cap - Designed by Scott Vieira. I really enjoy the flatline at the end of the heart rhythm 
Some Vfibers at our first swim meet together in November 2009. The guy on the right is Scott Vieira who designed the cap and the guy on the right is my brother, Roger, with a Dexcom CGM transmitter.

This is the cap I will be wearing in the 1000 free at the meet to represent the endurance challenges of Triabetes

Thanks

Brian Phelps

No comments: