Diving in the Keys

Diving in the Keys

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Nearing the End

It is now less than two weeks before the start on Ironman St George. I drive one week from tomorrow to St George to get ready for the event and get acclimated. I really am hoping for warmer weather because I am tired of being cold.

I finished my last round of hard workouts with a 2.4 mile straight swim Friday, a 5hr 15 min ride on Saturday and a 10 mile run today (which sucked as normal). I have a swim tomorrow before getting a day off Tuesday. Wednesday I have a triple swim/bike/run then get on a plane for Jacksonville for a sales call on my off day. Friday I have another strong workout day followed by a 90 minute deep athletic massage from hell.
I posted this on Facebook and also want it here because it is important to me this Easter. 15 years ago, on Easter morning, my Dad & I were in an unfamiliar church numb and sad. My Mom died a few hours earlier (she was 73) as the result of T1 diabetes complications. Christ dying on the cross to pay the penalty for our sin and then arising again victorious over sin & death was very real. On that Easter morning, my Mom's faith became sight and it was a great resurrection day celebration for her! That thought got me a bit emotional today during church. I really enjoyed church today, the celebration, the message and sharing it with friends.
I am the perfect example of the game in Sesame Street, "One of these things is not like the others. One of these things just doesn't belong". This is the end of my endurance journey. I love swimming and I have learned to love cycling. I have also learned that I have no business running. Whether I finish Ironman or not, this year has been amazing. I have literally met hundreds of diabetic athletes and have had to opportunity to make an impact on a few and make some lifelong friends. If I don't finish, an ambulance will be involved because I am very OCD about finishing things that I start. I am amazed by my fellow captains and the barriers and challenges that they have busted through this year. They are an inspiration and I appreciate them letting me pretend to be in the endurance crowd for this year.
Follow the excitement and carnage on Saturday May 7th. My bib number is 1553 and you should be able to follow me at:   
Ironman Live Tracking - Bib#1553
Thanks and it was an amazing ride
Brian Phelps

No comments: