Diving in the Keys

Diving in the Keys

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Insult to - Well Insult (no injury) - Long Weekend

I start with the end this time. This morning Mark and I arrived at Aurora Reservoir when it open just before 7am along with all of the ice fishermen (my people). This difference was that Mark and I were not there to fish. We were there to get in 15 miles of running before heading to church. When we started out running, we heard one group of ice fishermen say, "Look at those crazy runners out here this early!". That hurt, that really hurt. I love being called a crazy ice fisherman but not a crazy runner. That is just wrong especially when the offending party is "my people", other ice fishermen on one of my favorite ice fishing lakes that is 10 min from our home. The run was fine but slow and the muscles in my hips were telling me that I had been on my bike for 4 hours the day before and ran for 25 minutes. I ended up going to bed last night at 7:30pm last night because I had to. I just couldn't stay awake any longer. I signed up for three events on Friday, one of which I am very excited for. I signed up for the Lifetime Fitness 1 hr triathlon for March 5th which I am doing with about 4 friends, all of whom are using this as their intro to triathlons. I also signed up for the Rattlesnake Olympic triathlon August 20th and the Harvest Moon 1/2 Ironman distance race of Sept 11th. My friends, Steve and Joel are joining me for both of these events and it will be the first Oly and Half for both of them. What I didn't tell them is that I actually signed up for the Aquabike on Sept 11th which means that I quit after the bike (this is the one I am excited for).

It is crunch time now for training and competition. 97 days of tough training left before Ironman St George and about 62 left before my first 1/2 Ironman in Oceanside, CA.  

I have an invitation for everyone. I am inviting YOU to come watch us at Ironman St George. I have 10 rooms reserved at the luxurious Motel 6 which is right next to the 24hr Dennys and strategically located on the race course. The event is Saturday May 7th and if you need to fly into Las Vegas on Friday, I will coordinate getting you to St George (about 90 minutes away). If you drive from Visalia, its about an 8 hour drive, if SoCal, its 4-5 hours and if its the Denver area its a 12 hour drive. I will be there all week prior and leave Sunday afternoon or Monday morning by car. I will also offer to pay for the Friday night stay at the Motel 6 if that will help you decide to come and join us. Transportation from Vegas and 1 night stay at a Motel 6. Who could refuse such an offer? JUST DO IT!!! I need people to jeer, I mean cheer, me on.

Thanks and there are still slots available for the Ironman St George event if you want to do the event with me ;->

Brian Phelps

1 comment:

Crandell Fam said...

I'll take you up on that offer! Book me a room for Friday night, I'll be there. :) lol I can't believe we have such a short amount of time left...scary!