Diving in the Keys

Diving in the Keys

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Its a New Year Transition

It is now 2011 and I am transitioning back from no routine to routine and from fishing to work and training. I have read several blogs of peers and their struggles that they are facing with motivation and discipline. I will just say, "me too". I have thoroughly enjoyed my break by fishing with friends and connecting with my new diabetic friends like Will, John, Zyler and Madi. We celebrated last night with Madi as her Mom had a birthday, I got to go to a Nuggets and Broncos game with Zyler and I got to ice fish with Will. Although I still haven't met John in person, I am looking forward to meeting him after his next break from school. Reality struck as one of my teammates (Thanks Christian ;->) reminded me that I have a 1/2 marathon to run in 2 weeks, my first half Ironman Tri in 2.5 months and my first and last full Ironman Tri in 3.5 months. The "suggested" workouts are now 2-4 hrs in duration each day and I will have to train smart. In addition, work is now in full gear and I have 4 requests for me to travel.

I am currently sitting here on the couch on a Saturday morning watching fishing shows and dreaming of the Florida Keys. I broke away mentally long enough to get some work done, write this blog and start thinking about my 3hr+ bike ride. I think that I will time the ride to coincide with an NFL playoff game. I am expecting my motivation to hit high gear in two weeks with I travel with my wife, my friend (Mark) and my Triabuddy, Zyler, and his Mom to Carlsbad (San Diego) to run a 1/2 marathon with a couple hundred other diabetics. This will opportunity to meet and get to know the real Type 1 diabetic endurance athletes from across the country. My brother, Roger who is also a Type 1, will be driving down Saturday evening to meet up with us. I am also THRILLED to pre-announce that my Triabuddy, Zyler, has been selected as a "Hero of the Race". There are 9000 runners and Zyler will be one of about 10 "Heros" that will be treated as VIPs. He was selected as a hero for taking life head-on as a Type 1 diabetic. I am so proud and will probably be in tears as he is presented at the banquet on Friday evening of the race weekend.

Finally, I had a lot of time to reflect as I spent a few days with a friend from California. He came out to have an adventure with me on the ice. That occurred and we also had some good talks. He has walked a road that I have also been on but probably didn't realize. It was a great time of getting perspective and ponder the guidance. Thanks Scott.

Let's Ride!

Brian Phelps

5 comments:

volock said...

Good luck on the Carlsbad race!

Also to wonder are you using a GPS watch/HRM etc or going old school for your timing?

Brian Phelps said...

I look old school but I have some toys that help me train correctly. One of these toys is a Garmin 310XT for timing, heart rate, pace and uploading course information.

volock said...

Yeah I don't know much about training correctly, but I'm learning. I just got an FR60 (actually it was an XMAS present) and am enjoying seeing so much more detail on my runs. I had an Edge 800 which I didn't always take with me to run (but lives on my bikes) and had done the HR training stuff before, but I've found it really interesting seeing all the data for my runs and especially from the footpod.

You using Garmin Connect mainly, or TrainingPeaks or some other option I've yet to discover?

Brian Phelps said...

I print off my workouts from TrainingPeaks but that is all that I use it for. I love Garmin Connect and definitely use it.

volock said...

See I'm the opposite. I use Garmin connect, but prefer all my stuff at training peaks (I have scripts set up for it loading to both). I think part of that for me though is that I'm using training peaks for tracking food daily, and I figured out how to setup custom fields to load all the stuff from my Pump/CGM into it, so I have all my metrics in one spot.

I was just wondering as I stumbled into training peaks completely, and so figured there could be other things out there to look at.