Diving in the Keys

Diving in the Keys

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Leavin On a Jet Plane

Tomorrow I leave to join a diabetic convergence on the Carlsbad Marathon near San Diego. Weather is supposed to be beautiful with highs in the 70's and lows in the low 40's for the 4 days we are going to be there. I am looking forward to this. Joining me will be my wife, my Triabuddy ,Zyler, and his Mom along with my friend, Mark. Also driving down from Ojai will be my brother, Roger.

Tomorrow evening, Zyler will be presented as a Hero of the Marathon. Saturday morning Zyler, me and his Mom will run the Kid's mile followed by surfing (maybe). In addition, Zyler and I will be the inspirational speakers in Carlsbad Saturday night to the other diabetics that have come in for the event. It will be interesting to see if I can hold it together after watching my documentary and then follow Zyler and his Mom. I am running the half marathon on Sunday along with more than 80 marathon and half marathon diabetic runners. Monday I stick around and get to celebrate my youngest brother's birthday with him (he is going to be 64).

Zyler Zartun - A Hero of the Carlsbad Marathon



This time last year I was traveling to Las Vegas for a Master's swim meet and I fully intended to do the same this year but my buddies and my brother could not make it. I will wait for the weekend to conclude but I have a feeling that this was the right choice. Even though I am a swimmer and compete as a "normal" swimmer, I don't have the opportunity yet to make an impact on other diabetics in the pool. The other swimmers only know that I specialize in the sprint butterfly and sprint backstroke. They have no clue that I am diabetic and I have no clue if there are any other diabetics at the meet (other than my brother). Participating in this diabetic community event in Carlsbad is going to be special.

After celebrating my brother's birthday on Monday, I will travel to Dallas for work Tuesday morning and then travel on to Atlanta until next Thursday when I get to come back home. What that means is that I "worked" on my bike trainer for almost 4 hours today since I won't be back on the bike for a full week. 

Thanks and its off to sunny Southern California for a few days

Brian Phelps


No comments: