Diving in the Keys

Diving in the Keys

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

5 Guns Down and 1 Put Away

I had a fantastic weekend in Northern California this past weekend. I was able to deal with 5 starting guns in a Masters swim meet in Palo Alto and was pleased with how I handled the 1000 freestyle which was my most focused race to manage my pace and my adrenaline. This meet was an excuse to have a reunion of high school swimming friends from Visalia, California. We have a team/support group named the Visalia VFibs and our caps have a logo showing a heart beat going to a flatline ;-> We thought that we might lose one of our teammates in the 1000 when he looked like he wasn't going to make it. He has now agreed to do a 1/2 Ironman with me in 2012 and drop 45lbs - that makes me VERY happy.
Start of 1000 yd Freestyle

The Visalia VFibs Winnings

Before the meet ever started, I read an email on my Blackberry informing me that a gun had been put away. I have been attending Al Anon which is for friends and family members of chemically dependent people. I have been the primary contact for "a friend" that put himself in a 30 day in-patient rehab in October and is now finishing up at a Sober Living facility after 6 months which he decided to go to. I am also the primary legal contact during this process. Before I ever raced on Saturday, I read an email from a lawyer regarding my friend's legal issue. The incident occurred 18 months ago and had yet to be indicted by a Grand Jury. Technically he has been out on bond this whole time. The incident did occur and was a stupid act while under the influence (no one was hurt and it did not involve a car), nevertheless it did occur and had serious ramifications. The lawyer simply said that he had talked to the prosecutor and she was going to refuse to go forward with the charges and that the charges would be dropped. This was huge for him and our family. I talk weekly with my friend and he just wanted to face the judge and take the consequences as opposed to waiting indefinitely especially since he was about to get a fresh start as he finishes up at Sober Living. As a Christian, the best example that I can think of is Christ dying to pay the penalty for my sins which I deserve to be punished for but instead Christ paid my penalty. I was absolutely amazed. One of the Al Anon official slogans is "Let Go & Let God". It is meant to address the fact that many of us, like me, desire to control the uncontrollable. It suggests that we need to release it to God.
 
Words to Live By

As I was reading the email and explaining what had just happened to my childhood friends who were at the meet with me, a gentleman came up to me and asked if I was Brian Phelps. He introduced himself to me and he is a relative that I have never met in person. He saw that I was going to be in a meet (on Facebook) and took the chance to come to the meet and find me. Thanks for making the effort Gary!


Me with my relative, Gary

The Visalia VFib Crew

Later in the day, another gentleman saw my Triabetes jacket and introduced himself to me as the Executive Director of the American Diabetes Association in Northern California. He was competing in the meet himself.

Executive Director of the ADA
Finally, I had the great opportunity to meet Melissa Warren in person. She works for VSP (Vision Service Plan) and sponsors Team Type 1 and my brother as they make an impact in the diabetic community. Melissa's husband is a Type 1 himself.


My buddy, Eric with Melissa Warren and Myself 




No comments: