Diving in the Keys

Diving in the Keys

Friday, March 25, 2011

Excitement is Building - Running Out of Time

The competition is fun and the training isn't. My training is peaking and my competition schedule is in full gear. I got the whole week of training in this week although I compressed some workouts into the same day to allow me to compete in the Colorado State Masters state championship meet that started today.

Let's start with the training. The bike and the swim feel great and the run is a killer with my feet and blood glucose (BG) levels. I don't think that I can run any farther than 14 miles in training without risking my feet. I should be fine at St George because I don't have to walk for a week after that event. In addition, my BG's are crashing with every run. Last Sunday, I tried to run 18 miles and only made just over 10 and was very frustrated.
My starting BG was about 150 and it immediately crashed to the mid 30's and then leveled to mid 40's
This process of crashing has taught me how to fuel and walk. It has also helped me, once again, mentally reset to finishing Ironman St George - period. It appears that I can average a 15min/mile pace if I am correcting a low with a walk/run combo. I think that the BG drops are directly associated with the fact that all aspects of training are peaking with April 9th being the toughest weekend.

Okay, on to more fun. I raced the 1650 yd freestyle today at the State meet with our son. I was pleased with my time of 20min48sec even those it didn't make the national cut at around 20min flat. I would never enter a distance event at nationals but I would have liked to make the cut. Tomorrow I am in sprint races and my son and oldest daughter are also in the meet. I think that we are all hoping to challenge for one victory each in our age groups. I am in 4 individual event and our kids are in 3 each. After the meet I get to get on the bike trainer until bedtime (hopefully the 7 hrs scheduled). I will then wake up early and run 14 miles before church. After church we head to California with an overnight stay in St George, Utah where I will swim the lake Monday morning in my wetsuit. Our son is moving to California on this trip and we will be leaving him and a car there. After some time with family and friends, I will be doing my first 1/2 Ironman at the Rohto Ironman California. I am Bib# 2354 and am in swim wave #20 starting at 7:39am Pacific. You should be able to go to the following link to track me during the race:

Rohto Ironman California Link

I then have 5 more weeks of training before competing at Ironman St George. You really need to watch this 30 second promo video of Ironman St George 2011. It was quite enlightening for me ;->.

30 second Promo for Ironman St George 2011

Thanks and follow me next Saturday at Ironman California

Brian Phelps

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry we missed you in V-Town. Brought my mom back up to Roseville last night and she will be here till Thursday. She was saying that she would like to make dinner for Michael. Keep it going my friend! It's only a little bit longer. Just finish the race in less than 17hrs and you are good to go!

EricP

Brian Phelps said...

Eric, So you took your Mom away to protect her from being within a 1 hour radius of me ;->

Anonymous said...

Why, of course! I don't want you to give her any ideas!