Diving in the Keys

Diving in the Keys

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Ups & Downs

By far, the up of the weekend was Zyler's Rockin Fundraiser at Buffalo Rose in Golden, CO on Saturday. It was an amazing event that was spearheaded by Zyler's Mom. It was great to see John and Maureen, the Masar's, the Zartun's and the Doyle's again. This fundraiser along with some recent donations and a couple of promised donations, this should put him over his goal.

Zyler's Parents who really pulled off an amazing fundraiser

A view from above of the fundraiser

Zyler and me at the fundraiser
Being in Golden reminded me of an old nemesis that I am going to attack on April 9th. Pictured below is Lookout Mtn and you should be able to see the switchback road that goes up the Mtn. That road beat me when I first arrived at Colorado School of Mines in Golden in 1983. In 2011, I am going up that Mtn and back down without stopping. That will be symbolic for me. BTW, the "M" is for Mines as in Colorado School of Mines.

Lookout Mountain
My weekend workouts were less than stellar. I had 6+ hours of sitting on the bike seat on an indoor trainer Saturday morning and I never really engaged mentally. Today, Sunday, I ran after church and immediately hit my low of the weekend within 2 miles. I felt low when I was at 120 and steady so I started to correct what I knew was coming. Sure enough, next was 102 and dropping then 78 and dropping then 57 double arrow down, 55 double arrow down, 41 double arrow down and finally off the chart low (somewhere below 39) for awhile. This all occurred within 10 minutes. The net result was a shortened run of about 10 miles (supposed to be 18) in a time that looked like a walking pace. At least the weekend ended with a family dinner celebrating my wife's birthday.

Thanks and I am looking forward to more competition and the peak and then taper off of the training.

Brian Phelps

1 comment:

volock said...

So mentally engaged on a Trainer? I can't often get there... However PerformanceBicycle sells a book holder for clipping to your handle bars. I've taken to putting a book in it and getting some reading done while I ride on the trainer. Just set alarms on my garmin so it knows if I drop below whatever pace I should be keeping.