Diving in the Keys

Diving in the Keys

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Enjoying the Season of Working Out & Fishing - Fishing is actually a harder workout

I just finished another 1 hour on the bike trainer and it was easy from a physical and mental perspective. I am feeling that I am getting there although my weight is up about 5 pounds and I am hoping it is leg muscle. I went ice fishing with 15 other people yesterday with 3 newbies. We woke up at 2:30am and hiked about 2.5 miles for the days with the sleds and about 400 yards of land crossing to get around open water. Everyone, including the newbies caught fish including my newest friend, Will. He is a 22 year old Type 1 that I met in line for a Red Green autograph. His is a part of our crew now and will be fishing with us often. That trip of hauling heavy sleds over the land crossing of muddy conditions just about did me in. I have included a photo of Will with his first fish on ice and a photo of me, my Triabuddy Zyler and Will (all type 1's) who are totally wiped out and ready for a comfy chair. Two of us dipped under a BG of 40 later that evening. We knew it was coming and acted appropriately but our sensitivity to insulin was extreme.

 I am really enjoying my time with my new diabetic friends and ice fishermen, Zyler & Will.

My new buddy, Will, and his first fish on ice. He is definitely "keeping his stick on the ice" in Red Green tradition

Our own version of Team Type 1 with me Zyler and Will sitting exhausted on our rock after the trek off the ice.

Finally, I wanted to share what I posted today on Facebook and I really believe it:

I am thinking about the "gifts" that some have to minister to others. These "gifts" are cancer, addiction, mental illness, etc. and, in my case, diabetes. Only a diabetic can truly have an honest conversation with another diabetic. Horrible in and of themselves, they also have the silver lining of the opportunity to reach out to others with the same "gift". Here is a Paul Harvey link that I am posting. This Paul Harvey story is a wonderful analogy of why God took on the "gift" of being human at Christmas. It will really make you think.

Paul Harvey's Story of the Birds 

Thanks

Brian Phelps

No comments: