Diving in the Keys

Diving in the Keys

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Running is now about Running

This was a decent couple of days with some hard workouts. I put in 3400 yds in swimming, had some business in St Louis, rode on my indoor bike trainer for 3hrs 15min yesterday morning and then ran 10 miles today. There are no more structural excuses in running now. My only limitations now are muscles, lungs, fueling and blood sugars. No more structural excuses available to me for my feet. I did the 10 miles today in 1hr 38min with my heart rate in the high 140's and low 150's. I ran in my Newtons and they felt great. I started running with my BG at 68 and falling but I had already heavily fueled and knew that it was going to hit soon. About 20 minutes into the run, I was at 119 (good number). As I watched my numbers, I saw them falling again so I hit the fueling fairly hard and never got below 102. My numbers then climbed steadily to about 135 by the end of the run. I know this is obvious to other diabetics but I need to bring insulin with me on my runs because optimally I would have taken one unit when I was at 120 and rising. I owe this to the concept that I learned in iD University that fueling for blood glucose levels is different than fueling for exercise. What this means is that I took more insulin than I needed before the run so that I could fuel heavier. This meant that I was low and going down at the beginning but it allowed me to fuel like I needed to for the run.

A really positive point this week was when I got a photo from one of my Type 2 friends while I was in St Louis showing him getting a good cardio in while he was working at his job. This is absolutely awesome especially since his schedule is ridiculous and needs to multitask in order to exercise. Do whatever it takes to beat diabetes.


Finally, I got to finish this week off at the home of my Triabuddy Zyler's family. We had a very nice Christmas get together with them, Madi and her family and John and Maurine. That was a great time especially since I hadn't been able to meet this part of Madi's family until today.

Thanks

Brian

2 comments:

jpnairn said...

That's awesome that you got this running thing worked out. That's the last piece of the puzzle for you. It's just training now, and you're rocking that.

Brian Phelps said...

I am thankful that the structural issues are on the back-burner. Running is still my monster Achilles.